Be The Match Donor Drive
Friday September 20th, 2019
CPCU Waterford 11am-3pm
CPCU has previously hosted this event with big success stories! Our very own Tracy Lewis saw a need for an event like this in her area a few years back. A Be the Match Donor Drive is where we welcome members and non-members into the branch to register as a potential donor for a person in need of a bone marrow match. This is a simple swab of the cheek and once you are in the system you stay in. To register is very simple. Should you end up a match the donor process is also very simple with two different ways to donate dependent on the patient need.
What is Be The Match?
For the thousands of people diagnosed every year with life-threatening blood cancers or diseases like Leukemia and Lymphoma, a cure exists. These patients can receive blood stem cells as a cure. Unfortunately, 70% of patients cannot find a match within their family and therefore look to the Be The Match registry for that life-saving match. Over the past 25 years, Be The Match (non-profit) has managed the largest and most diverse marrow donor registry in the world (19 million & counting).
To join the Be The Match donor registry free of charge, you need to be ages 18 to 44 and in general good health.
- Registering take 5-10 minutes and consist of a simple cheek swab kit
- Once registered, you remain in the registry until your 61st birthday
- 1 in 430 are selected as best matches for a patient
- 80% of donations are a non-surgical auto-mated blood donation (Apheresis)
How to register?
You can register at our scheduled Donor Drive on September 20th from 11am – 3pm at our CPCU Waterford location where there will be swab kits on site or through our specific Be The Match “CorePlus” link below where you can have a swab kit sent to your address!
Registering to have a swab kit sent to your address:
Step 1: Go to the link: http://join.bethematch.org/CorePlus
- Click “Join the Registry”
- Be sure to select “I am not at a Be The Match event and will need a cheek swab kit mailed”
- Fill out registration forms (takes between 5-10 minutes)
Step 2: Swab Kit
- Once swab kit is received in the mail, follow directions on kit and send back (takes 30 seconds)
- Kit comes with Pre-Stamped Envelope (no charge to you!)
A Be The Match Representative will be at the event on September 20th to share additional information.
For any questions, please reach out to:
Be The Match – Community Engagement
Email: [email protected]
Work Cell: 860-690-8788
Be The Match. Save A Life.
[pl_button type=”success” link=”http://join.bethematch.org/CorePlus”]Be The Match Donor Registration[/pl_button]